101: Calendar
102: Calendar
103: Calendar
104: Calendar
105: Calendar
106: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Community Forums > > Public Square > > The Forum > > Woo! Arcade!

Woo! Arcade!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index > > The Forum
Author
Tessil
Evil Vizir-Azem
Evil Vizir-Azem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Woo! Arcade!

Well, it finally arrived and was wrestled into the loft!

My Neo Geo MVS system! A real arcade machine! Very Happy

This is a MVS-4-25. Takes 4 cartridges, so games can be swapped out. I've already got a considerable number of games for it.

New pictures of the computer room

New pictures of the house (must be logged in to view)

mvs-4-25.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.55 MB
 Viewed:  531 Time(s)

mvs-4-25.jpg

Designer Luggage

Last edited by Tessil on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Maybert
Orc Legionnaire
Orc Legionnaire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Woo! Arcade!

Holy crap at 12 Mhz processor! That's exactly 12 times faster than a Commodore 64! Hehehe.

But seriously, thats a pretty cool setup my man. Any plans for adding a foozball table to your "man cave"?

PS - Fatherhood and a lack of available babysitters has serverely limited my EQ2 time lately. I was hoping to play two days this week and had to care for Sophia both days while the wife worked. Hopefully we'll have some sort of arrangement soon that gives me a few hours on my day off to group with y'all.

Alex
Tessil
Evil Vizir-Azem
Evil Vizir-Azem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Woo! Arcade!

Maybert wrote:
But seriously, thats a pretty cool setup my man. Any plans for adding a foozball table to your "man cave"?

I'm thinking more pool table, but I actually haven't done the measurements to see what size table works in that room. Very Happy

Designer Luggage
Janey
Orc Legionnaire
Orc Legionnaire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Woo! Arcade!

I want to come over and get the high score and leave. So you can sit there and say "I was beat by a girl".

Yeah, thats what I want.
Sala
A Skeletal Trooper
A Skeletal Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Woo! Arcade!

Nice place hun... for a min while I was looking at the computer room I wondered if you were really as old as you say you are Wink It reminded me of my 17 year old brothers room minus the clothes and food everywhere! Very Happy What is the deal with the license plates though? Are they all yours or do you just collect them?
Tessil
Evil Vizir-Azem
Evil Vizir-Azem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Woo! Arcade!

Most of the license plates were gifts. I made them into a wall display a number of years back.

As for my choice of decorations in the computer room, well, sometimes part of growing up is learning not to care too much about liking what you like. Very Happy Personally, I think the room looks nice, though Mom never did like the XXXenophile poster... But I happen to like Phil Foglio's art quite a bit (I remember his "What's New" comic in the back of Dragon magazine...)

I mean, I have the nice art in the rest of the house, it evens out, right?

Designer Luggage
Hawkey
Young Plains Cat
Young Plains Cat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Woo! Arcade!

Howdy guys,

I love the "imported" Moosehead beer sign. Never seen that before. WhereI am from that is more of a "local" beer.

Warren
Sala
A Skeletal Trooper
A Skeletal Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Woo! Arcade!

balances out.... I guess. Don't have a home of my own but yea I feel sorry for any man who tries to live with me... I want a big home where nothing balances Very Happy I'm a very strange girl... I want a pool where my living room is under it so I always get the water effect in there... saw that somewhere and I loved it Very Happy Then my kitchen will be all stainless steel and my room amazon rain forest or African safari style... like I said... strange girl Very Happy

So people just give you their license plates??? -shrug- OK I've heard of people collecting their own but never having someone just say hay happy birthday have an old license plate! Very Happy

"As for my choice of decorations in the computer room, well, sometimes part of growing up is learning not to care too much about liking what you like." I thought growing up meant you got to get rid of what you didn't like and get what you liked via having a job Wink What did you not like but are forced to like it because you grew up? Or are you saying you no longer like as much as you did what you liked when you were younger? (still trying to tear that sentence apart and get the meaning... perhaps I should bleach my hair blond...) And who in the world told you, you grew up Kitten? They lied to you Twisted Evil
Tessil
Evil Vizir-Azem
Evil Vizir-Azem

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Woo! Arcade!

Sala wrote:
Then my kitchen will be all stainless steel

I have Stainless Steel appliances. They suck. Looks awesome, until you touch it. Or scratch it. And you will do both. Quickly. Awesome look, absolutely impractical to care for. Plus you pay a LOT extra for SS. Trust me on this.

Sala wrote:
So people just give you their license plates??? -shrug- OK I've heard of people collecting their own but never having someone just say hay happy birthday have an old license plate! Very Happy

Yup, that's exactly how I got some of them!

Sala wrote:
"As for my choice of decorations in the computer room, well, sometimes part of growing up is learning not to care too much about liking what you like." I thought growing up meant you got to get rid of what you didn't like and get what you liked via having a job Wink What did you not like but are forced to like it because you grew up?

Oh no, not at all.

C. S. Lewis said: "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

Just about any time I'd do something I thought was kinda nifty, my best friend in college would just roll his eyes and say "geek!" He still does. I tend to ignore him because he's a hell of a hypocrite. He's just as geeky in his interests, just just geeky in a different way. Very Happy

Harry Potter's managed to overcome the stigma associated with kiddie things...

Designer Luggage
Voldin
A Skeletal Trooper
A Skeletal Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Woo! Arcade!

I wonder if you can put car wax on your stainless steel appliances to protect them and smooth out the blemishes.
Sala
A Skeletal Trooper
A Skeletal Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Woo! Arcade!

Voldin wrote:
I wonder if you can put car wax on your stainless steel appliances to protect them and smooth out the blemishes.

once you stuck them in the dishwasher the wax would bubble and or melt and it would be a mote point.. not to mention I'm pretty sure it's a health risk...

My mother has a whole set of stainless steal plates, cups, and bowls and they seem to be doing fine... They are scratched to be sure but nothing really that would be a danger or really make it look too bad. Have you been using plastic/rubber utensils with your cookware? I know with Teflon you cannot use the metal spatulas and spoons where with cast iron you should use the metal ones. Never really thought about it with stainless steel. The reason I would want stainless steal is because I'm clumsy Wink I'd rather have something that isn't going to dent as easily as Teflon or shatter/hurt me or someone else like cast iron would if I dropped it!
Tessil
Evil Vizir-Azem
Evil Vizir-Azem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Woo! Arcade!

Sala wrote:
Voldin wrote:

once you stuck them in the dishwasher the wax would bubble and or melt and it would be a mote point.. not to mention I'm pretty sure it's a health risk...

Nope, not at all. Consider: car waxes are subject to far higher temperatures than that on the exterior of your car, and they don't bubble and/or melt. I'm pretty sure one of the SS polishes I use contains a wax product. I've heard of people also using car waxes as well (really the only difference is packaging, not product, and car wax is usually cheaper than appliance polish).

You wouldn't wax the inside, and I don't think a little heat's going to vaporize the wax, so there's really no health risk.

Sala wrote:
My mother has a whole set of stainless steal plates, cups, and bowls and they seem to be doing fine... They are scratched to be sure but nothing really that would be a danger or really make it look too bad.

There's different grades/hardnesses of stainless steel, it's not one size fits all. I suspect that the grade of SS in the plates and utentils your mother has are much more durable than the thin cheap stuff used on appliance trim. Keeping SS pots and pans and utensils clean is one thing. Keeping the rather expansive front face trim of appliances shiny and free of scratches, smears, streaks and other blemishes (which show up really quickly and easily) is quite another.

Sala wrote:
Have you been using plastic/rubber utensils with your cookware? I know with Teflon you cannot use the metal spatulas and spoons where with cast iron you should use the metal ones. Never really thought about it with stainless steel. The reason I would want stainless steal is because I'm clumsy Wink I'd rather have something that isn't going to dent as easily as Teflon or shatter/hurt me or someone else like cast iron would if I dropped it!

Teflon pans are usually alumninum, and are pretty durable and light. They're also very inexpensive and convenient (because of the coating).

You should always use plastic with non-stick coated pans because once the coating is scratched, it flakes off easily, and it's not at all good for you to ingest. I don't know that you "always" use metal spoons with cast iron though - some cast iron has porcelan coatings that you wouldn't want to scratch or chip either. Wooden or plastic works there too, and is probably really preferred. Metal spoons conduct heat out of the pot or pan also...

Also, you should avoid overheating Teflon. studies show that the Teflon offgases toxic particulates at 446°F (which can be lethal to birds and infants). At 680°F Teflon pans release at least six toxic gases, including two carcinogens, two global pollutants, and MFA, a chemical lethal to humans at low doses. At temperatures that DuPont scientists claim are reached on stovetop drip pans (1000°F), non-stick coatings break down to a extremetly toxic agent known as PFIB.

Stainless steel's a durable material, but not necessarily the most durable. There's many different grades of SS, and thickness counts too. You can get a lot of cheap (cost AND quality) SS pans, and you can get some really expensive ones. It'll probably be heavier than aluminum, if you're worried about your toes.

Copper's a really good material, but insanely expensive, and even harder than SS to keep shiny.

Iron pots are really good, because they heat very evenly and also have a very high specific heat. They're probably preferred by most serious cooks, but good iron pots and pans are pretty pricey.

For myself, I got a set of T-Fal Teflon-coated aluminum pots and pans at Target for $50. I take care to watch the heat, and at that price, as soon as they show wear, I'll pitch 'em. I can buy a lot of those sets for the cost of one really good pot or pan (which I'll probably scortch and ruin the finish on anyway).

Designer Luggage
Voldin
A Skeletal Trooper
A Skeletal Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Woo! Arcade!

Yeah Sala, I wasn't talking about putting car wax on utensils and plates. Kinda funny though because I read the quotes from Touks post first and as I am reading that I am thinking, "she washes her refrigerator in a dishwasher???".
Sala
A Skeletal Trooper
A Skeletal Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Woo! Arcade!

Who said anything about a fridge? anyway Touk do you offer cooking lessons? Razz My aunts and nana have given me up for hopeless. I can bake anything you want but never put my near a stove... i burn water Sad
Oxonia
A Skeletal Trooper
A Skeletal Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Woo! Arcade!

Stainless Steel's best friend is "Bar Keepers friend" gets any stains, marks and stuff off. Doesn't hurt the stainless steel that I have seen, but then I am usually using it on the sink. It is also the recommended product by Corelle for getting any stains or marks off Corelle because it is gentle.

/hugs

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: