43: Calendar
44: Calendar
45: Calendar
46: Calendar
47: Calendar
48: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Community Forums > > Public Square > > The Forum > > New Family Member - Meet Munchi!

New Family Member - Meet Munchi!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index > > The Forum
Author
Tessil
Evil Vizir-Azem
Evil Vizir-Azem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: New Family Member - Meet Munchi!

Munchi is my rescue bird. He's a Patagonian Conure. He was hatched in January of 2007.

One thing about the Patagonian Conures is that they are LOUD. Both Rio (my Senegal) and Munchi are in the same room - upstairs in the loft - and yet it's Munchi that can easily be heard over VOIP downstairs in the study. He can truly set your ears ringing when he's on your shoulder.

munchi_02122009_4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.5 MB
 Viewed:  307 Time(s)

munchi_02122009_4.jpg

munchi_02122009_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.48 MB
 Viewed:  300 Time(s)

munchi_02122009_1.jpg

Designer Luggage
Meldaria
A Skeletal Trooper
A Skeletal Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Family Member - Meet Munchi!

Still cute. Who cares about the sound! They shut up as soon as you cover the cage =P
Sala
A Skeletal Trooper
A Skeletal Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Family Member - Meet Munchi!

he's soooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy surely such a cute small creature isn't as bad as you make him out to be Razz
Maybert
Orc Legionnaire
Orc Legionnaire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Family Member - Meet Munchi!

It looks delicious.

What type of marinade do you recommend?
Sala
A Skeletal Trooper
A Skeletal Trooper

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Family Member - Meet Munchi!

BEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont you DARE tell me i get kicked off and you actually come back Razz -cry- anyway how you doing and how's your stores going? everything settling down and falling into place?
Oxonia
A Skeletal Trooper
A Skeletal Trooper

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Family Member - Meet Munchi!

He is beautiful Touk. Does he get along with Rio? Or do you have them out at the same time at all? Never really known anyone to have birds as pets before, just knew to keep my fingers out of the cage.

/hugs and miss you.
Moon
Tessil
Evil Vizir-Azem
Evil Vizir-Azem

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Family Member - Meet Munchi!

Febreeza wrote:
He is beautiful Touk. Does he get along with Rio? Or do you have them out at the same time at all?

Unfortunately, they can't be out together. As nice as it would be to have them be buddies, they consider the house (and me) to be theirs exclusively. They don't get along at all.

Most people don't realize it, but birds can be very territorial. They're very cute and cuddly, but Munchi is almost 3x Rio's size. Even so, Rio's more than willing to try and take Munchi on. I make sure they stay at a distance from each other when they are out (or better yet, have them out separately) out of concern for their safety. I have several no-kidding scars on my hands from Munchi when I was first handling him (his lower mandible is very, very sharp). There's a certain amount of trust that you have to have in a large bird...

Even I have to be a little careful handling Munchi. Being a mature male, he's relatively aggressive (although not violently unpredictable). Mostly I have to wear hearing protection though, at point blank, his squawks are literally deafening.

Febreeza wrote:
Never really known anyone to have birds as pets before, just knew to keep my fingers out of the cage.

Birds are great pets. They are smart, have very complex personalities, and they can be fiercely loyal. And cute and cuddly. They're far from being furnature to be kept in cages.

But yeah, keep those fingers out! That cage is THEIRS! CHOMP! =)

Designer Luggage
Meldaria
A Skeletal Trooper
A Skeletal Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Family Member - Meet Munchi!

My step mother has two conures in Florida a cockatoo and a red and gold McCaw... They are ALL seperated... and can only be out one at a time. She rotates them every couple of hours and then at night the covers go on the cages and not a peep..

They really are great companions. They out live you though... by quite a few years .. they have to be taken care of when your long gone and it's always best to try and make arrangements for that before it's too late.. Otherwise they don't usually find homes. Noone wants someone elses loyal adult bird.. they don't train really well when older.

They are comical to watch. They do amazing things. And they really do love attention.
Tessil
Evil Vizir-Azem
Evil Vizir-Azem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Family Member - Meet Munchi!

I recently got a decibel meter and clocked in Munchi. 117dB - well above the threshold for hearing damage ("safe" exposure at 115dB is about two minutes), and not quite as loud as say, a jet flyover at 1,000ft.

I don't even think that was his best effort. Razz

Designer Luggage
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index > > The Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: